Updating apps is a very important habit to get into to make sure they continue to function properly and avoid any frustrating crashes.
Everyone’s favorite instant messaging app, WhatsApp, has been updated many times in its history in order to offer users better service, more features and added security. In this post, we’ll talk about how to update WhatsApp and provide a condensed version history in case you need to revert back to an older version for some reason.
It’s worth noting that many of the recently added features in WhatsApp were originally only available on the unofficial upgrade, WhatsApp Plus. The official app has come a long way in its latest versions, but there are still a few things that only WhatsApp Plus offers. For that reason, we’ll also tell you how you can upgrade to WhatsApp Plus if you are looking for all the bells and whistles.
WhatsApp updates are made to fix or improve some of the app’s features that users didn’t like, or to fix bugs that might have popped up in a previous version. Besides, when you consider that new smartphone models with updated operating systems and incredible technology are being rolled out constantly, it would be a waste not to take advantage of all available updates and take your messaging experience to a whole new level.
How to update WhatsApp (original)
Table of Contents
First of all, when you try to update WhatsApp, you need to take into account which operating system your device uses, as well as the model of your smartphone. This is because these factors can affect whether you will be able to download an update or not.
To update WhatsApp, you need to open up the app and go to the “Options” menu, then “Settings”, and finally “About”. Here, you can see what version of the application you are currently running. Then, go back to “Options” and select “Check for Update”. If any new version of WhatsApp is available, all you have to do is follow the instructions to download the update and install it. You can also check for manual updates at whatsapp.com/download.
It’s important to note that you do not need to delete WhatsApp from your phone in order to download an updated version. You just need to check if there are any updates available either from the app itself or from the internet. Deleting the app may cause you to lose your entire chat history if you haven’t backed it up properly.
If you were having any problems with the app or if it wasn’t working well, downloading the update should fix it. In some cases, you might even get new features as part of the WhatsApp updates, like new settings or options, new emojis, or a fresh look. Keeping your messenger up to date can also make sure the app is more secure. In fact, security is one of the top reasons why updating is so important. New security features are often added to keep your information save and prevent hackers from getting access to any sensitive information, especially in the case of WhatsApp Web. It can also avoid crash messages or keeping people from using spy apps to access your private information.
How to upgrade to WhatsApp Plus (unofficial app)
If your smartphone is an Android, and you are looking to get a bit more from your messenger app, you have the option of upgrading to the unofficial WhatsApp Plus. Keep in mind that this is a third party app, so WhatsApp can’t guarantee its security or performance. Plus, because it is an unofficial spin-off, it can’t be downloaded from Google Play Store. This means you have to find the WhatsApp Plus APK file somewhere online, and it’s extremely important you only download it from a trusted website.
Here are the steps you need to follow to upgrade to WhatsApp Plus from the original:
- If you want to save your chat history, photos, and all the other information associated with your official WhatsApp, go into the app’s options and perform a complete backup.
- Next, since you can’t get WhatsApp Plus from the Play Store, you have to adjust your phone’s security settings to allow “downloads from unknown sources”.
- Now you’re ready to download the WhatsApp Plus APK file. Find a trusted site like ours, and tap on the link to start downloading the app.
- Before you install WhatsApp Plus, you have to uninstall the original WhatsApp. Since you’ve backed everything up, all of your information should be safe.
- Finally, when you get the “download complete” notification, tap it to open the file and then tap the “install” button.
Now you’ve got the WhatsApp Plus upgrade ready to set up on your Android phone. Just like with the official app, you will have to enter your mobile phone number and verify it using a code sent in a text message.
WhatsApp update version history
Now you understand why it’s so important to update WhatsApp, and you know exactly how to go about doing it. The best course of action is usually to always have the latest available version. But sometimes, people prefer to go back to an older version because of some changes they don’t like, or a bug they are having with a new update.
If you are in that situation, here is a list of the most important updates that have been made to WhatsApp in recent years, along with the new features and options that came with each one:
- WhatsApp 2.17.213, latest version as of this writing
- WhatsApp 2.17.79, stable update released February 2017.
- WhatsApp 2.16.399, stable update released December 2016.
- WhatsApp 2.16.84, stable update released May 2016.
- WhatsApp 2.12.376, update released December 2015. This is the update that added the ability to “star” messages to find them easily later on, optional rich previews for sent and received links, and support for Android direct share.
- WhatsApp 2.12.248, update released August 2015. This is the update that gave us the ability to set custom notification settings or mute individual chats, and also the option to mark chats as read or unread.
- WhatsApp 2.12.115, update released June 2015. This update involved a design change.
- WhatsApp 2.12.69, update released May 2015. This was the update that introduced free WhatsApp Calling over Wi-Fi.
Now you know everything you need in order to update WhatsApp to the version you like best, or even to upgrade to WhatsApp Plus if you use an Android phone.
- Install whatsapp
- Whatsapp for android
- WhatsApp for PC
- WhatsApp for iPad
- WhatsApp for Android Tablets
- How to hack whatsapp account
- WhatsApp Web