Nowadays, we all need a convenient, fast and easy way to communicate with friends, family and business contacts. That, of course, would only be by using the incredible technologies, internet, and smartphones that make our lives easier today.
Many popular applications have emerged in the smartphone world, but on the top of all of them, you will definitely find WhatsApp messenger. This must-have app provides the opportunity to communicate via texting, voice calls, and video calls, in addition to sharing different kinds of files using an internet connection. All for free.
Table of Contents
- 1 Why download WhatsApp for mobile?
- 2 WhatsApp downloading from official app markets
- 3 How to install WhatsApp
- 4 What about WhatsApp Plus?
In this article, we’ll show you how to download WhatsApp for mobile, how to install WhatsApp, and also how to download the unofficial enhanced version of the app known as WhatsApp Plus, should you choose to do so. So, if you are looking for how to download and install WhatsApp, skip to the next two sections. For information on WhatsApp Plus, jump all the way to the bottom of the post!
Why download WhatsApp for mobile?
The WhatsApp app is already well known, and needs no further publicity. It allows you to share your messages and media, such as videos, music, pictures, and PDF files in an easy, user friendly way. Users all around the world do appreciate WhatsApp’s convenience and the ease of use of its numerous features.
Using WhatsApp or WhatsApp Plus, you won’t pay for cellular calls, neither local nor international. You’ll enjoy replacing them with WhatsApp free calls using any Wi-Fi internet connection available. Contacting anyone on this planet is suddenly easier, cheaper and more enjoyable.
It is noteworthy that Facebook has obtained ownership of WhatsApp in 2004. The messenger app’s continuous progress makes it the most popular messaging app worldwide with about one billion active users up till now.
How do I download WhatsApp for my cellphone?
But perhaps the number one reason this app is so popular is because you can get a WhatsApp free download easily right from your device’s official app market. WhatsApp is basically designed for smartphones, and supports all kinds of operating systems – iOS, Android and Windows OS. Users can download WhatsApp from Google Play Store, the iTunes App Store, and BlackBerry World. However, if you need an alternative, or if your phone doesn’t actually have an app market (such as some old Nokia phones), there are also other ways you can download WhatsApp on your phone.
Steps for downloading WhatsApp
It is important for everyone to be in contact with people wherever they go. All ages, all positions, people download WhatsApp for mobile as a primary means of contact for all kinds of purposes.
University students, children, grownups, friends, relatives, family, and business contacts all use WhatsApp for different things. Some for fun, some for business, to organize an event, to call a cab or even to order a pizza! With one to one messaging or group messaging, users can join chat groups on WhatsApp for family conversations, friend reunions, organizing a surprise birthday party, business talks, study groups and the list goes on.
That is just a glimpse of what really makes WhatsApp on top of the most downloaded applications all around the world. The services offered by WhatsApp free messaging app makes it a basic necessity in every smartphone.
WhatsApp downloading from official app markets
Step 1.-Make sure your smartphone has either a Wi-Fi or data connection (keep in mind that downloading apps over a mobile data connection can have associated charges).
Step 2.-Open your device’s official app market. This is usually done by tapping an icon on the home screen or app drawer.
Step 3.-Search in your app market (Play Store, iTunes App Store, etc.) for “WhatsApp”.
Step 4.-The first result should be the official version of WhatsApp messenger. You’ll recognize it from its famous green icon.
Step 5.-Select this result, and tap the “download” or “install” button in your app market.
Step 6.-Your device will start downloading WhatsApp, and will usually also install it automatically. To see what you need to do after downloading, skip to the “How to install WhatsApp” section below.
Android users, keep in mind that on some new Android devices, WhatsApp messenger comes pre-installed along with the core applications according to the Google agreement with smartphone manufacturers. If this is the case, you don’t need to download it at all.
Other ways to download WhatsApp for mobile
Some people can’t use the usual app markets for whatever reason. In this case, there are alternatives for certain kinds of devices:
- WhatsApp for Android: Search the web using your device’s browser for “WhatsApp APK”. Find the download link on a trusted site, tap it, and save the file. Then, skip to the “How to install WhatsApp” section below.
- WhatsApp for iPhone: The operating system on iPhone is very restrictive, so you will only be able to do this if your device has been jailbroken. Search online for “WhatsApp for iOS”, find the download link on a trusted site, tap it, and save the file. Then, skip to the “How to install WhatsApp” section below.
- WhatsApp for Nokia: There are some old Nokia phones that aren’t technically smartphones, but can still run everyone’s favorite messaging app. Go to whatsapp.com/s40/ from your Nokia to see if your device meets the requirements. If it does, you can download WhatsApp straight from the website.
Also, note that in the case of Android and iPhone, you can also download the WhatsApp file to your PC or Mac, and then transfer it to your phone via USB cable, Bluetooth or iCloud sync in the case of iOS.
Downloading WhatsApp on tablets is a bit tricky, since the instant messenger is designed to work with phone numbers. We address this topic in depth under the “WhatsApp for tablets” section of our website.
There is also a WhatsApp download for PC! It is called WhatsApp Web/Desktop.
You should know, however, that you can’t create an independent account on WhatsApp Web. It can only be activated when you scan a QR Code from your PC’s WhatsApp with your smartphone’s WhatsApp camera.
Then, your same account will be active on both your smartphone and PC as long as you’re online from your smartphone. We go over this process in detail under the “WhatsApp for PC/Mac” section of our website.
How to install WhatsApp
It is no surprise that you can install WhatsApp completely free of charge. You will enjoy an exceptional experience of unlimited messages, multimedia, files, in addition to voice and video calls. You simply can’t beat it for a great, unlimited instant messaging app that will never annoy you with any ads at all.
WhatsApp install free download steps
Step 1. Download the WhatsApp file according to the instructions in the “Other ways to download WhatsApp for mobile” section above.
Step 2. If you use an Android, now is the time to check that your security settings are set to allow “downloads from unknown sources”. Otherwise, the WhatsApp installation will be rejected because the APK file didn’t come from the Play Store.
Step 3. Then, after the download is complete, just tap the notification bar or use a file manager app to locate the file. Usually, these app files get sent to a folder on your device called “Downloads”.
Step 4. Finally, tap it to install WhatsApp and VOILA! You’re almost done. Now you just need to go through a quick setup process.
Setting up WhatsApp on your phone
- After the WhatsApp install is done, open the app.
- The welcome front page will guide you through the steps to activate WhatsApp on your device. You will need to have an active mobile phone number. It will ask you to enter the number and it will verify it by sending a verification code to it via SMS. You’ll need to enter the code in the specified box, and you’ll be done.
- Then, you can manage your WhatsApp account, you can import your Facebook information (profile picture and name) if you want to, or you can choose a different name and a different profile picture.
WhatsApp releases new updates regularly, and if you don’t get it updated it will stop working at some point. So, depending on your device, and your settings, you can control how you update it.
Updates for WhatsApp are run regularly and according to the settings in your device, they could be applied automatically or you may need to apply them manually.
But these updates are certainly necessary because your WhatsApp may stop working if you don’t update it.
If you have an iPhone, you can simply set your device’s settings to download the apps updates automatically using Wi-Fi only. Then you’ll find your apps, including WhatsApp of course, updated all by itself.
If you have an Android device, you’ll need to adjust the settings in your device to get the updates automatically but they might take longer. Or, you can grab the updates manually when you want to update the app using the WhatsApp or WhatsApp Plus APK download.
Just as we described in the “how to install” section, this is done by installing the new version of WhatsApp over the old existing one. It’s easy, so why not give it a try?
For more detailed information, check out the “Update WhatsApp” section of our website!
What about WhatsApp Plus?
WhatsApp Plus is a cool modified version of the original WhatsApp, designed only for Android devices. It was created in 2012, and it’s totally free of charge.
You can recognize it because it has the same familiar WhatsApp icon, only it is blue instead of green.
WhatsApp Plus is a modified, unofficial version of WhatsApp. With WhatsApp Plus, you can enjoy all the features of the original WhatsApp and make some changes to the privacy settings, the kind of changes that are not available in the original app.
The WhatsApp Plus latest version has some exciting features. New versions of the app are launched every now and then with some new improvements.
What are the differences between WhatsApp and WhatsApp Plus?
For example, WhatsApp Plus allows you to customize the app’s appearance: backgrounds, theme, and font colors. It also allows you to hide your profile picture and status. Whatsapp is updating and trying to copy some of whatsapp plus functionality that other users really want within WhatsApp, the features are as follows (hide the profile image, see the last login time and hide the profile status).
There is something that you should know about WhatsApp Plus though. Because it’s an unofficial app (third party), the safety of the code and the privacy of your information cannot be guaranteed by WhatsApp. But, WhatsApp Plus still has some additional functions and features that the original WhatsApp doesn’t have… yet. Let’s talk about them!
How to download WhatsApp Plus
WhatsApp plus is an unofficial version of WhatsApp and is only available on Android phones, you can search the application in the following Blue WhatsApp Icon Store.It differs from the original program in many ways. Existen muchas funcionalidades especiales, dentro de ellas controlan “la última vez de conexión”, “Los temas de personalización”, etc.
It’s also good to know that the official WhatsApp app added some of the features of WhatsApp Plus, like hiding the reading receipt (those blue checkmarks that the sender sees when the recipient reads the message), hiding the last seen status, and the ability of changing chat backgrounds.
Here’s how Android users can download WhatsApp Plus:
- STEP 1.-WhatsApp Plus is an unofficial app, so you won’t find it in the Google Play Store. That means you will have to search online for “WhatsApp Plus APK” from your Android device’s browser.
- STEP 2.-Find a trusted site that is offering a download link for the APK file.
- STEP 3.-Tap on the link and save the file to begin downloading WhatsApp Plus.
If you have been using the official WhatsApp messenger on your device, you will also need to do the following steps before you can install WhatsApp Plus:
- STEP 1.-Open WhatsApp and go to the main menu.
- STEP 2.-Select “Settings”.
- STEP 3.-Go to the “Chats” section.
- STEP 4.-Tap on “Chat backup”.
- STEP 5.-Finally, click on the green “BACK UP” button to create a backup of your existing WhatsApp messages and media files. You can go to whatsapp plus installation, when the previous process has finished
How to install WhatsApp Plus
From here, it’s pretty simple to install WhatsApp Plus:
- STEP 1.- Just download the WhatsApp Plus APK file according to the instructions in the previous section.
- STEP 2.- If you have the official WhatsApp on your Android, you MUST uninstall it now!
- STEP 3.- In order to download applications from unknown sources, you must have the security settings correctly configured.
- STEP 4.- Then, use the “download complete” alert you receive in the notification bar to go directly to the downloaded file, or check your device’s “Downloads” folder for “WhatsApp Plus”.
- STEP 5.- Tap the APK file to install, wait for a few seconds, and you’re almost good to go.
- STEP 6.- Now, you’ll need to set up your WhatsApp Plus account just like you did with the official version of the app. Enter your mobile number, and allow the app to send you the verification code.
- STEP 7.- Enter the code into the box and start using WhatsApp Plus.
Note: If you backed up your official WhatsApp chats in the previous section, you now have an opportunity to restore them into WhatsApp Plus. The app should automatically detect the backup file on your device’s internal storage. When it does, it will ask you if you want to restore your chats and media files. Simply tap on “Restore”, and you’ll be able to pick up right where you left off!
Now, you have everything you need to know if you want a WhatsApp install free download on your mobile phone. For tips on other types of devices, check out the other sections of our website.
WhatsApp Plus features and themes
The feature that WhatsApp Plus was created for in the first place is being able to completely change how WhatsApp looks. Choosing new styles or visual themes changes your app’s appearance so you can make just the way you like.
You can install these themes directly from WhatsApp Plus. You can choose from over 700 free themes. This feature enables you to edit the appearance and settings of everything in your WhatsApp Plus.
Plus, in addition to the skins menu, you have more than 6 menus for editing the appearance and settings.
These menus include the header, colors and size of chat images menu, the appearance and size of the pop-up notifications menu, the ability to disable voice notes or animations, the size and colors of widgets menu, and the color of launcher icon menu.